The Emerging Readers program, launched by the Emerging Leaders, provides the opportunity to make a positive impact in the life of a local child by sharing the joy of reading.
- Participate in a book donation four times a year
- October 21, as school begins.
- December 9, around the holidays.
- February 10, heading into spring time.
- April 21, before school lets out to help combat summer slide.
- Get matched with a family or a child at one of our United Way partner agencies
- Volunteers choose age-appropriate, new or gently-used reading materials for their child or family.
- First names and children’s ages are the only information exchanged.
- Volunteers are encouraged to prepare a reading package for the partner family. Suggestions include sending hand-written notes of encouragement or book reviews to accompany their reading selections.
Registration is now closed, and we are at capacity for the 2016-2017 school year. Please consider volunteering with us next year!
In 2015, 242 local children were matched with 150 United Way donors. Children receiving books were between the ages of 2-13 and participate in youth programming at the following agency program partner agencies: Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Milwaukee, Boys and Girls Club of Greater Milwaukee, COA Youth & Family Centers, Parents Place and the United Community Center.
Watch a slideshow of young readers receiving their books.