The Emerging Readers program, launched by the Emerging Leaders, provides the opportunity to make a positive impact in the life of a local child by sharing the joy of reading.
- Get matched with a family or a child at one of our United Way partner agencies
- Participate in a book donation four times a year
- October, as school begins.
- December, over the holidays.
- February, heading into spring time.
- April, before school lets out to help combat summer slide.
- Volunteers choose age-appropriate, new or gently-used reading materials for their child or family.
- First names and children’s ages are the only information exchanged.
- Volunteers are encouraged to prepare a reading package for the partner family. Suggestions include sending hand-written notes of encouragement or book reviews to accompany their reading selections.
In 2015, 242 local children were matched with 150 United Way donors. Children receiving books were between the ages of 2-13 and participate in youth programming at the following agency program partner agencies: Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Milwaukee, Boys and Girls Club of Greater Milwaukee, COA Youth & Family Centers, Parents Place and the United Community Center.
Watch a slideshow of young readers receiving their books.