United Way is committed to deepening our impact as funders, partners and conveners, especially as related to racial equity and social justice. Specifically United Way will:
- increase funding to Black and Brown-led organizations.
- advocate and support Black and Brown-led ideas through a community-based advisory committee.
- commit to doing our own internal equity work while carrying out external initiatives.
- hold ourselves accountable to deepening and strengthening this effort year after year through transparency at all levels, from the Board to, most importantly, the community.
We know that we will do this better side by side with the community. Together, we will commit to dismantle systemic inequities by building capacity of Black and Brown-led organizations to identify and address Black and Brown defined priorities in collaboration with the community.
Towards this end, we are forming an advisory council focused specifically on racial equity and justice. Strategy & Oversight Advisory Council members will represent the communities we seek to benefit/support through our investments. Committee members are invited to join not because of title or rank, but because of demonstrated personal commitment to racial equity and justice.
Members of the advisory committee and sub-committees will work with other council members and United Way staff to:
- determine the best way to address racial inequities for organizations led by Black and Brown community members.
- understand community aspirations and concerns.
- identify other partners in this work.
- define measures of progress and results.
Advisory Council expectations are as follows:
- Act as in-house advisory. Share your expertise and experiences with United Way staff to further enhance the mission of United Way through racial equity.
- Regularly attend council meetings.
- Be willing to engage in frank and candid discussions related to racial equity and racial justice issues in Milwaukee and nationally.
- Review materials prior to meetings, participate in discussions, and offer suggestions.
- Promote United Way's racial equity mission and opportunities for partnership within one's personal and professional networks.
Time Commitment: Monthly 1.5-2 hour meetings for at least six months, beginning June 2021. Regular meeting schedule will be determined upon the first meeting. Advisory Council members will be asked to commit to at least two years.
Compensation: Committee members will be compensated for every meeting they attend at a rate of $25/hour if they are not being compensated by their employer. Technology stipends will be available upon request.
Upcoming Meetings: Save the Date! June 28, 2021 2pm - 4pm. Approved applicants will be sent meeting details in mid-June.
Questions? Contact our Racial Equity Team using the form at the bottom of this page.
Please complete the form below by June 23, 2021 to be invited to the first meeting. Applications received after June 23, 2021 will be considered for future meetings.