Healthy Birth Outcomes Grant
Healthy Birth Outcomes Initiative funding will be available for programs focused on infant mortality reduction, prenatal care, and pregnancy support services for youth and adults that are high quality and affordable. The focus is on increasing healthy birth outcomes through prematurity prevention.
- Opportunity Fund Grants are one-time grants to non-profit, health and human service agencies in Greater Milwaukee & Waukesha County. Healthy Birth Outcomes is an Opportunity Funds Grant.
- Agencies must have current 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status.
- Agencies must provide health and human services programming in Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Washington, or Waukesha Counties.
- Agencies and programs must be able to demonstrate broad community support and a record of fiscal and administrative stability.
- Agencies agree to measure outcomes as prescribed by United Way using provided surveys and i-CResults data collection tool when applicable.
- Support will be provided for a single year at a time, when grantees required to reapply, without guarantees, for subsequent years in which they may seek funding.
- Individual agency requests from this fund may not exceed $50,000 per year.
- Agency agrees to complete mandated reporter training and have in place a separate policy regarding the protection of children and youth if the organization serves youth in any capacity.
Application Attachments: Agencies who are NOT currently an agency program partner with United Way of Greater Milwaukee & Waukesha County will be required to submit a completed application along with the following:
- Agency 990 (most recently completed)
- Completed W-9 form
- 501(c)(3) Letter
- Two most recent fiscal year audit reports with Management Letter
- Most recently completed fiscal year-ending internal financial reports (Balance Sheet and Statement of Activities) AND most recent current year financial report
- Policy on Protecting Children (if serve youth in any capacity) – after funded
- Counterterrorism Agreement – after funded
Requirements of Funding:
- Agencies will be required to submit a Mid-Year Report as well as a Year-End Report in e-CImpact (United Way’s online reporting tool).
- The year-end report will include demographics (listed below) for all participants, outcome results and analysis, a success story and final program budget.
- United Way of Greater Milwaukee & Waukesha County will distribute half of the funding amount on July 21, 2017 and the second half after Mid-Year report receives approval.
- Agencies who are NOT currently and agency program partner with United Way of Greater Milwaukee & Waukesha County will sign a Healthy Birth Outcomes Partnership Agreement.
- Current agency program partners will be held to the standards outlined in the 2017-2018 agency program partner Partnership Agreement.
Demographics: All Healthy Birth Outcomes programs are required to report demographic information for all of the participants served. Demographic categories are subject to change.
- Age Groups: 0 thru 3, 4 thru 5, 6 thru 11, 12 thru 17, 18 thru 24, 25 thru 34, 35 thru 44, 45 thru 54, 55 thru 64, 65 thru 74, 75 thru 84, 85 thru 94, 95 and over
- Gender: Male, Female, Transgender, Other
- Household Income: $0 to $9,999, $10,000 to 14,999, $15,000 to $24,999, $25,000 to 36,999, $37,000 to $49,999, $50,000 to $74,999, $75,000 or more, Free and reduced lunch (if income data is not available)
- Racial Background: African American/Black, Asian, Caucasian/White, Middle Eastern, Multi-racial, Native American, Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, Other
- Ethnicity: Hispanic/Latino, Non-Hispanic/Latino
- U.S. Veteran Status (Are you or have you ever been a member of the Armed Forces?)
- Zip Codes of Residence
- Primary Language: What is the primary Language spoken in the home? English, Hmong, Spanish, Multiple, Other
*Demographic categories are subject to change. Funded agencies will be notified of any changes in writing.
Support from United Way:
- United Way will provide mandated reporter training to all funded programs.
- United Way will provide training to funded agencies on the outcomes measurement tool (post-test).
- All Healthy Birth Outcomes programs are required to collect and report data that measure common outcomes and indicators using surveys provided by United Way.
- Programs will be asked to choose two outcomes from the following list to report to United Way in their Year-End Report. No more than one outcome per focus area permitted.
Healthy Birth Outcomes: Babies will be carried to term with a healthy birth weight.
- # and % of participants who had a healthy pregnancy outcome
- # and % of participants who carried the baby to term
- # and % of participants who delivered a baby with a healthy birth weight
Prenatal Care: Mom will receive prenatal care and will be educated about safe practices when baby is born.
- # and % of participants who began prenatal care in the first or second trimester
- # and % of participants who were educated on safe sleep environments
- # and % of participants who were educated on the benefits of breastfeeding
- # and % of participants who were educated about the effects of smoking and 2nd hand smoke
Healthy Practices & Environments: Baby will receive appropriate after birth care.
- # and % of participants who have been observed using a safe sleep environment
- # and % of participants who are breastfeeding
- # and % of participants who had their baby in for six-week check-up
- # and % of participants who are attending a parenting program or referred to a parenting program
Medical Home: Mom and baby will be connected to a medical home.
- # and % of participants that are connected to a medical home
The Letter of Intent for the Healthy Birth Outcomes fund opens on March 9, 2018. Please review the overview and grant criteria above carefully and apply at: https://agency.e-cimpact.com/login.aspx.
- If you are an Existing Agency (agency with a profile in e-CImpact), please see pages 1-8 of the instructions.
- If you are a New Agency (agency who does NOT have a profile in e-CImpact), please see pages 9-16 of the instructions.
- After the program is set up in e-CImpact the profile will be pending until it is approved by Vickie Hay. Once approved, the letter of intent can be completed.
- If you have any questions regarding e-CImpact or login information, please contact Gail McCarthy, 414-263-8123. For any other grant related questions, please contact Vickie Hay, 414-263-8116.
All trainings and roundtables will take place at United Way of Greater Milwaukee & Waukesha County (225 W. Vine St., Milwaukee) unless otherwise specified.
- Friday, January 26, 2018 by 4:30pm – Mid-Year Report submitted in e-CImpact; remaining award distributed upon successful completion of Mid-Year Report
- Friday, March 9, 2018 – Letter of Intent (LOI) Eligibility Application online submission starts
- Monday, March 26, 2018 by 4:30pm – LOI Application online submission ends
- Wednesday, March 28, 2018 – RFP training at Healthy Baby Roundtable
- Monday, April 2, 2018 – Qualifying agencies sent invitations to complete a full RFP
- Tuesday, April 3, 2018 – RFP Opens
- Wednesday, May 2, 2018 by 4:30pm – RFP and all attachments due
- Wednesday, May 23, 2018 – Final HBO Advisory Committee recommendations sent to Nicole A.
- Thursday, June 21, 2018 – UW Board Meeting for grant approvals
- Saturday, June 30, 2018 – Grant period ends
- Monday, July 2, 2018 – Email sent with Partnership Agreement
- Tuesday, July 17, 2018 – Signed grant agreement due
- Friday, July 20, 2018 by 4:30pm – Year-End Report submitted in e-CImpact
- Tuesday, July 24, 2018 – Grant approval notification sent by U.S. mail; half of total award distributed after Partnership Agreements are signed and returned (non-partner agencies)
Please contact Vickie Hay at 414.263.8116 or via email.