United Way is committed to deepening our impact as funders, partners, and conveners, specifically related to racial equity and social justice. Our initial investment will be in Black- and Brown-led organizations; United Way will invest a minimum of $7.5 million NEW dollars across three funding cycles from our Racial Equity Fund.
Additional funds will be invested in other racial equity and justice-based work, for a total 3-year investment of at least $10 million.
If an organization would like to be considered for funding they must:
- serve one or more counties in the four-county Greater Milwaukee area (Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Washington, Waukesha.)
- include Black and Brown community members as primary beneficiaries of their service population.
- submit an information form by September 20, 2021.
Black- and Brown-led organizations are currently defined as those where:
- the organization's leader identifies as Black or Brown; and/or
- over half of the organization's Board identifies as Black or Brown; and/or
- over half of the staff and/or program staff identify as Black or Brown.
- Other definitions will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Details and Deadlines
Grant awards will be made to Black- and Brown-led organizations with a goal to increase organizational capacity. Grant awards of up to $100,000 per year for three years, not to exceed 100% of the organization’s current budget, will be determined by a sub-committee of the Racial Equity Advisory Committee.
Racial Equity Fund Timeline:
- September 20, 2021 - "Getting to Know You" information due by 4:30pm.
- October 1, 2021 – Organizations are notified if they been selected (or not) to complete a full application.
- October 4, 2021 – Organizations invited to complete the full application will be sent application instructions via email.
- October 22, 2021—Applications due by 4:30pm.
The Racial Equity Fund Getting to Know You information form is now closed. To sign up for email notifications when new funding opportunites are added, please fill out the form on our Funding Opportunities page.
If you have any questions, please reach out to our team via email here or call Shannon Reed, Director, Racial Equity & Justice at 414.263.8133.