In Greater Milwaukee and Waukesha County, too many people are left out of our public conversations. United Way of Greater Milwaukee & Waukesha County is changing this with Project LEAD—Leadership Effectiveness And Diversity.
This in-depth seven-week training program prepares community members for leadership roles on nonprofit boards and committees, with an emphasis on recruiting participants from underrepresented board populations (women, racially and ethnically diverse, young professionals).
- Learn the basic responsibilities of nonprofit boards
- Understand what is expected of individual board members
- Broaden your professional networks
- Influence decisions impacting our community
Participants will have an opportunity to be connected to agencies with a mission that corresponds to the participant’s personal interests. The program’s goal is to introduce each participant to a nonprofit board within six months of program completion.
Fall 2018 Project LEAD Timeline
All sessions will be held from 5:30 - 7:30 p.m. unless otherwise noted.
- Wednesday, September 19, 2018: Introductions & Photo Session
- Wednesday, September 26, 2018: Board Basics & Board Structure
- Wednesday, October 3, 2018: Advocacy & Learning from Experience
- Wednesday, October 10, 2018: Governance & Transparency
- Wednesday, October 17, 2018: Financial Management
- Wednesday, October 24, 2018: A Board's Role in Resource Development
- Wednesday, October 31, 2018: Making the Connection
- Wednesday, November 7, 2018: Learnings in Action
- TBD, Graduation
We are now accepting applications for the Fall 2018 session. Please submit applications and supporting materials (resume, headshot, letter of recommendation) by Friday, August 10, 2018 at 5:00 PM.
For more information, contact Samantha Mitchell at 414.263.8202 or via email.