In Greater Milwaukee and Waukesha County, too many people are left out of our public conversations. United Way of Greater Milwaukee & Waukesha County is changing this with Project LEAD—Leadership Effectiveness And Diversity.
This in-depth seven-week training program prepares community members for leadership roles on nonprofit boards and committees, with an emphasis on recruiting participants from underrepresented board populations (women, racially and ethnically diverse, young professionals).
- Learn the basic responsibilities of nonprofit boards
- Understand what is expected of individual board members
- Broaden your professional networks
- Influence decisions impacting our community
Participants will have an opportunity to be connected to agencies with a mission that corresponds to the participant’s personal interests. The program’s goal is to introduce each participant to a nonprofit board within six months of program completion.
Fall 2019 Project LEAD Timeline
All sessions will be held from 5:30 - 7:30 p.m. unless otherwise noted.
- Wednesday, September 18, 2019: Introductions & Photo Session
- Wednesday, September 25, 2019: Board Basics & Board Structure
- Wednesday, October 2, 2019: Advocacy & Learning from Experience
- Wednesday, October 9, 2019: Governance & Transparency
- Wednesday, October 16, 2019: Financial Management
- Thursday, October 17, 2019: Project Homeless Connect - Milwaukee
- Wednesday, October 23, 2019: A Board's Role in Resource Development
- Wednesday, October 30, 2019: Making the Connection
- Wednesday, November 6, 2019: Learnings in Action
- Wednesday, November 13, 2019: Networking, Ceremony, & Reception
Applications for Project LEAD's fall 2019 session are now closed.
Please check back in December to apply for the spring 2020 session.
For more information, contact Samantha Mitchell at 414.263.8202 or via email.
Fall 2019 Project LEAD Class
Joan Aguado, Medical College of Wisconsin
Pamela Albright, Wells Fargo
Lisa Drews Anderson, UMB Fund Services
Shane Arnold, Johnson Controls
Dave Berka, United Way
Sara Bowen, Roadrunner Transportation Systems, Inc.
Rachel Byers, Rexnord Industries
Kate Easton, Penfield Children's Center
Keishla Gonzales, PNC BANK
Amy Hall, CNH Industrial
Astar Herndon, United Way
Lori Kiraly, Northwestern Mutual
Esankie Mirissage, Briggs & Stratton Corp.
Christopher Nelson, Harley-Davidson Motor Company
Laura Nicolaisen, Community Leader/Volunteer
Gisela Ortega, City of Milwaukee - Department of City Development
Josue Rodriguez, US Bank
Elaine Schweitzer, Juvare
Timothy Scott, City of Milwaukee Housing Authority
Anne Sims, WFA Staffing
May Vang, Advocate Aurora Health
Kara Waggoner, Froedtert Health
Meghan Welch, Cramer-Krasselt
Alexa Wild, Medical College of Wisconsin