In Greater Milwaukee and Waukesha County, too many people are left out of our public conversations. United Way of Greater Milwaukee & Waukesha County is changing this with Project LEAD—Leadership Effectiveness And Diversity.
This in-depth seven-week training program prepares community members for leadership roles on nonprofit boards and committees, with an emphasis on recruiting participants from underrepresented board populations (women, racially and ethnically diverse, young professionals).
- Learn the basic responsibilities of nonprofit boards
- Understand what is expected of individual board members
- Broaden your professional networks
- Influence decisions impacting our community
Participants will have an opportunity to be connected to agencies with a mission that corresponds to the participant’s personal interests. The program’s goal is to introduce each participant to a nonprofit board within six months of program completion.
Spring 2020 Project LEAD Timeline
All sessions will be hosted in the Johnson Controls Volunteer Center, 200 W. Pleasant Street.
- Orientation • Wednesday, April 15, 2020 • 5:30-7:30pm • Introductions & Photo Session
- Session 1 • Wednesday, April 22, 2020 • 5:30-7:30pm • Board Basics & Board Structure
- Session 2 • Wednesday, April 29, 2020 • 5:30-7:30pm • Advocacy & Learning from Experience
- Session 3 • Wednesday, May 6, 2020 • 5:30-7:30pm • Governance & Transparency
- Session 4 • Wednesday, May 13, 2020 • 5:30-7:30pm • Financial Management
- Session 5 • Wednesday, May 20, 2020 • 5:30-7:30pm • A Board’s Role in Resource Development
- Session 6 • Wednesday, May 27, 2020 • 5:30-7:30pm • Making the Connection
- Session 7 • Wednesday, June 3, 2020 • 5:30-7:30pm • Learnings in Action
- Graduation • Wednesday, June 10, 2020 • 5:30-7:30pm • Ceremony, Celebration, & Networking
- Get on Board • Wednesday, June 17, 2020 • 5:30-7:30pm • Nonprofit board resource/recruitment fair
- Volunteer • Thurs. or Fri., June 18 or 19, 2020 • Time TBD • Day of Action
Project LEAD's spring 2020 session application is now open.
All applications and supporting materials must be submitted before 5:00pm CST on Monday, February 24, 2020. $150 participation fee is due at orientation.
For more information, contact Samantha Mitchell at 414.263.8202 or via email.
Fall 2019 Project LEAD Class
Joan Aguado, Medical College of Wisconsin
Pamela Albright, Wells Fargo
Lisa Drews Anderson, UMB Fund Services
Shane Arnold, Johnson Controls
Dave Berka, United Way
Sara Bowen, Roadrunner Transportation Systems, Inc.
Rachel Byers, Rexnord Industries
Kate Easton, Penfield Children's Center
Keishla Gonzales, PNC BANK
Amy Hall, CNH Industrial
Astar Herndon, United Way
Lori Kiraly, Northwestern Mutual
Esankie Mirissage, Briggs & Stratton Corp.
Christopher Nelson, Harley-Davidson Motor Company
Laura Nicolaisen, Community Leader/Volunteer
Gisela Ortega, City of Milwaukee - Department of City Development
Josue Rodriguez, US Bank
Elaine Schweitzer, Juvare
Timothy Scott, City of Milwaukee Housing Authority
Anne Sims, WFA Staffing
May Vang, Advocate Aurora Health
Kara Waggoner, Froedtert Health
Meghan Welch, Cramer-Krasselt
Alexa Wild, Medical College of Wisconsin