In Greater Milwaukee and Waukesha County, too many people are left out of our public conversations. United Way of Greater Milwaukee & Waukesha County is changing this with Project LEAD—Leadership Effectiveness And Diversity.
This in-depth seven-week training program prepares community members for leadership roles on nonprofit boards and committees, with an emphasis on recruiting participants from underrepresented board populations (women, racially and ethnically diverse, young professionals).
- Learn the basic responsibilities of nonprofit boards
- Understand what is expected of individual board members
- Broaden your professional networks
- Influence decisions impacting our community
Participants will have an opportunity to be connected to agencies with a mission that corresponds to the participant’s personal interests. The program’s goal is to introduce each participant to a nonprofit board within six months of program completion.
Fall 2019 Project LEAD Timeline
All sessions will be held from 5:30 - 7:30 p.m. unless otherwise noted.
- Wednesday, September 18, 2019: Introductions & Photo Session
- Wednesday, September 25, 2019: Board Basics & Board Structure
- Wednesday, October 2, 2019: Advocacy & Learning from Experience
- Wednesday, October 9, 2019: Governance & Transparency
- Wednesday, October 16, 2019: Financial Management
- Thursday, October 17, 2019: Project Homeless Connect - Milwaukee
- Wednesday, October 23, 2019: A Board's Role in Resource Development
- Wednesday, October 30, 2019: Making the Connection
- Wednesday, November 6, 2019: Learnings in Action
- Wednesday, November 13, 2019: Networking, Ceremony, & Reception
Applications for Project LEAD's fall 2019 session are now open.
All applications and supporting materials must be submitted before 5:00 pm CST on Thursday, August 1, 2019. $150 participation fee is due at orientation.
For more information, contact Samantha Mitchell at 414.263.8202 or via email.
Spring 2019 Project LEAD Class
Tonnetta Carter, Student
Dezirae Grant, Fearless Indeed Inc
Stanthia Grier, US Bank
Ashley Haas, Village of Greendale
Josiah Helbig, Rockwell Automation
Charles Howard, Retired
Rashonda Jones, The Parenting Network
Jas Kaur, Ellsworth Adhesives
Morgan Melka, PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP
Kasra Mirmesdagh, Bostik
Joe Montemurro, MillerCoors
Laura Morales, Northwestern Mutual
Alysha Peters, Henkel US Operations
Joseph Poehlmann, Quarles & Brady LLP
Joanna Rivas, Girl Scouts of Wisconsin Southeast
Francisca Rodriguez, PNC Bank
Shariah Salahaladyn, Milwaukee Public Schools
Vanessa Sancha, PNC Bank
Jessica Sanchez, North Shore Bank
Marla Sayaovang, Northwestern Mutual
Lauren Sieben, Self-Employed
Kathleen Sims-Borner, Northwestern Mutual
Joshua Smith, A. O. Smith
Whitnee Smith, Quarles & Brady LLP
Frances Sutter, GMR Marketing
Cheri Taylor, Unitarian Universalist Association
Kalimah Tayyibba, MMAC
Rick Worzala, Baird