December 21, 2016
Make a New Year’s resolution to help someone succeed during the chilly first month of the year. Here are 5 ways you can celebrate National Mentoring Month in January:
- Be a Reading Buddy at an MPS elementary school this spring. Read aloud with students for just one hour each week. No experience necessary; training and flexible scheduling provided.
- Help students with their homework and school projects at the MPS College Access Center. Volunteers do not need to be a subject matter expert, just willing to help on Tuesday evenings from 5 - 7 p.m.
- Become a Big! Big Brothers Big Sisters is looking for mentors to build one-on-one, supportive mentoring relationships with young people. Spend time together 3-4 times per month, with BBBS offering over 80 planned activities per year.
- Teach English to refugees and immigrants with Catholic Charities. Volunteers will lead lessons from a prepared curriculum. Monday-Thursday opportunity, times vary.
- Chaperone the Girl Scouts during fun winter activities. Indoor and outdoor activities are available on January 2 from 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.